50 YEAR OLD WERRAMATIC

Forums Off Topic 50 YEAR OLD WERRAMATIC

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KEN LAST Anonymous 3 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KEN LAST
    Anonymous

At last after about two years I have found a company who can properly process B/W film. Taken quite recently on my old Werramatic I really am pleased with the results.

Anonymous

Profile photo of Ian McNab
    Ian McNab
    Keymaster

I only just spotted this, Ken. What’s the processing firm called, and how much do they charge?

(When I was doing the A-level, I used Asda in Crewe if I wanted some quick developing done well and cheap, and scanned the negs myself. ProAm Imaging and DS Colour Labs both develop BW – 35mm and 120 – but their scanning is pricey, and the postage charges ramp up the cost.)

(BTW, neither of your pictures above seems to be displaying on this iPad. I’ll check on a proper computer later.)

Anonymous

Think its me Ian–taken it off the gallery and its gone off here–will re-instate later. Now the company is in Birmingham AG-Photographic-and you bring up the next page to get into the scans—for a 35mm its about £20 dev and scan and very good too–big file size -excellent service.Yes DS Colour Labs about £28. Will get that pic up later.

Ian McNab
    Keymaster

I’d do my own scans – it lets me ignore shots that I’d never print, so I don’t have to pay for scans I won’t use. So I’d want ‘develop only’. AG-Photographic do ‘develop only’ for £6.47 (incl return postage) – same for 35mm (24 or 36) or 120. A roll of 35mm film at DS Colour Labs comes to £6 for 24 exp, or £7 for 36.  (ProAm don’t seem to do film at all. And Asda no longer do ordinary BW – their developing machine is ‘C41 only’, so you’d need to use special C41 BW film, which is limiting.)

Mmm… add to that, £2.80 to send the film plus £4.50 for a roll of 36 exp Tri-X or £4.71 for HP5, and we’re talking nearly £14 a roll processed (38p a frame). You certainly wouldn’t want to be ‘doing a Winogrand’ and shooting 12 rolls a day!!!

Looks like the only sensible option is to develop it myself! (How about we set up a Club Darkroom!)

Anonymous

With AG IAN——AG  PHOTOGRAPHIC—-there is a print off post label paid minimum £2.80—and BW   Process only is 3.99—so 4.50 film and 3.99 is £8.49  tops.The print off post label is to the left of BW Process details/prices.  I pay the extra for scanning as its a good file size and my scanner is ——-rubbish. I have bought a 100 TMAX—but unlikely to use this till well into the year—-the anti-freeze for the Werra is hard to come by. I think AG take some beating and the process is excellent and fine grain—tried three others including Ilford and they were expensive and very bad. Have reinstated the Werra pic  and wish I was as young as you Ian to get out more. Hope this helps but come back if needs.

Ian McNab
    Keymaster

Thanks for alerting me to the ‘send film to us free’. That’s a good deal.

And yes, ‘develop only’ is £3.99; but then there’s an addition of £2.48 return postage = £6.47

So with a £4.50 roll of 36exp Tri-X, that’s £10.97

Agfa APX 400, and Kentmere 400 are both £3.92, and Rollei Retro 400S is £3.98, so you could get the overall price down to around £10.50 a roll. Not so bad for a bit of a nostalgic dabble now and again, but not the sort of amount I’d be willing to shell out on a 10-12 rolls job like the Sandbach Day of Dance! 😉

Lovely picture, Ken – thanks for putting it back. The tonality is sparkling, isn’t it?

Anonymous

Quite right Ian–for several films –home proc. is the answer, must say I have enjoyed the Werra challenge.Some appalling processing which cost an arm and a leg —-and would have give up had AG not been ok. Yes very pleased and will have another go.KEN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.