2 items

Forums All About Photography 2 items

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ajroyle 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wbaxter
    Participant

There was an article in Saturdays Daily Telegraph about Frans Lanting, which I found very interesting, so here is his web site.

http://lanting.com/

During the last PDI competition the judge remarked on my images that they were burnt out in the highlights. He also made the same remark about other entrants images. Previously I have finished my image by going into Blending mode ‘Multiply’ and setting the opacity to about 30 %, I had not done this on the competition images I entered for League 1, I forgot to do it. Have remembered to adjust my entries for League 2.

Our Club Projector is quite powerful and will show up any flaws.

Hope this helps others

Pete Robinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for the link Wallace. There’s some stunning images there. Well worth a look and something to aim for.

Modern are very powerful and seem to brighten and increase the contrast some what. All of our monitors must be slight different and when we see our images projected they will be different again. I went to the big day and saw 4 talkers work displayed and some of the images looked over exposed and over sharpened, but I wondered if it was the projector doing that? Thanks for the tip.

KEN LAST
    Participant

Such an interesting point Wallace make regarding blown highlights. The question posed is a classic and leaves me bemused why so many members do not participate on the forum. How so many people absorbed into this wonderful interest of ours and cannot wish to learn or exchange ideas such as the subject Wallace has raised. I go back to the good old days of slide film. Expose positive slides for the highlight and expose for the shadows with negative film–well broadly speaking. What do we expose for with digital????I ask. Guilty much as others I think to an extent we point and shoot. Even though there are so many options in camera to get the correct exposure. Its all there in our cameras to avoid blown highlights etc etc.But I believe mostly we point and shoot and pray good old PS will sort it. Nice and interesting point Wallace–thank you.

ajroyle
    Keymaster

Wallace – Multiply is a good way of darkening a picture because it does so evenly, just turning down the “Exposure” only affects the middle tones. Some may find your settings a bit high and will need to expeiment a bit. We can easily allow people to do so if they send in images to the address I gave for open evenings, making different settings on the same picture and we can project them.

Burnt out highlights are not to be “cured” by this method. This is where Ken’s point comes in; correct exposure when your picture contains highlights is critical. We used to think that you just turned down the exposure when taking the picture (by aperture rediction or shutter speed increase) to a setting that more suited the highlights. The highlights can be many, many times brighter than the rest of your picture however and this approach is very questionable as it will inevitably affect your camera’s ability to render detail in the shadows without them getting noisy.

As usual in the technical side of photography it is a matter of balance and the received wisdom now is to “expose to the right” which is a way of saying, give it as much exposure as you dare – using the histogram to tell you if you have too much of your picture moving into the white (burnt-out).

Turning down the exposure to avoid highlights blowing out was such common practise years ago that I can remember now the shock and horror expressed as a ghasp from the audience when a technician from Nikon told us that the approachg was wrong! He went on to explain what we now call “exposing to the right”.

Some of you may use the flashing markers on your camera LCD to indicate over exposure – OK but it is inclined to make you over-concerned, since it is displaying perhaps 5% of the bright end of the scale, not just pure white.

Highlights are OK, they add sparkle. It is the big white areas which are a problem because they draw the eye and may indicate incompetence with exposure which allows the judge to easily dismiss the picture and give it the same mark as mine get.

Burned highlights can be dealt with in a variety of ways; 1) ignore or dont use the picture 2) setting highlights and shadows 3) cropping out 4) cloning in a suitable texture 5) using HDR 6) buying a camera with a bigger sensor etc.

Don’t worry about small highlights, unless they are near the edge of the frame or amidst a large dark area – they can be easily cloned out or ignored – up to you to decide.

Your picture must be adjusted to the projector and not vice versa. Other projectors are even brighter.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  ajroyle.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.