• Open
  • Pete Robinson
    Keymaster
    March 23, 2020 at 9:47 pm #22727

I was going through some old photos recently and I found a few that I took at the 1986 Cheshire Show. I was amazed to see 5 pairs of grey shirehorses pulling a relatively small dray. It’s that long ago that I was using old colour slide film and had to scan them to convert them to digital images so the quality isn’t very good. Because of their size and shape it was difficult to photograph well. As I recall the commentator saying this was purely for a demonstration. You would never get 5 pairs pulling a small dray. This sight may never have been witnessed before and may never be seen again. Unfortunately, I don’t have any details of the horses or owner(s). I’m glad to say my filing system helped me to find them within an hour.

• KEN LAST
      Participant
      March 24, 2020 at 2:13 pm #22729

SAMUEL SMITHS of TADCASTER are the brewers and owned the beautiful Shire Horses. Very well known in the displays but no idea if they still have the Shires.

• Pete Robinson
      Keymaster
      March 24, 2020 at 7:22 pm #22730

Thanks for the reply and information. I just checked their website and they seem to have a couple. They’re always been my favourite breed of horse and I love to see them dressed up. It was a moment I’ll never forget and that’s what I like about photography. Photographs are memories. Hope you’re Ok.